FIVE MINUTES OF FAME: Cook has wide variety of talents

Callie Thompson: How did you get started in cooking?

Kate Venable: I started cooking with my grandmother when I was still in elementary. I would go visit her in Oklahoma during school breaks, and she let me help her make dinner and food for neighborhood picnics.

Thompson: Now that you’re a hotel and restaurant management major, what are your plans for the future?

Venable: Honestly, I don’t really know anymore. I want too many things. When I first started going to culinary school, I really wanted to open my own restaurant, but I don’t know anymore. I do know that after I graduate, I want to earn a certificate in baking and pastry arts.

Thompson: Is there ever anything else you’ve wanted to do or considered doing?

Venable: Before my parents decided that it was OK that I wanted to go to culinary school and learn how to cook, I considered going to medical school and becoming a doctor. I also wanted to become a teacher for the longest time while growing up. However, I’ll admit that I would still love to be a photographer for National Geographic magazine. Art is my true passion, and I think cooking is just one branch of it.

Thompson: I know that you’re also a talented artist. Have you ever considered that as a career?

Venable: Yes, I have. I also think being one of the curators of a major art museum, such as the MET, in New York would be absolutely amazing. The MET is one of my favorite places on earth.

Thompson: Have you ever sold any of your pieces?

Venable: I have actually, mostly photography. A few years ago, Brennan’s of Houston also paid me to do a bunch of art for them while I was a cook there before I went to culinary school.

Thompson: Do you cook all the time when you’re at home?

Venable: I cooked almost every night during the summer, but I haven’t lately because I am so busy with work and school.