Feeling the fling of the frisbee

Students often look for a great way to be involved in the community. Whether it is joining a book club or a sports team, it helps them get away from all the schoolwork. Frisbee is often known for just throwing a disk around, but a couple of students found it to be a competitive sport.

“This sport helps out our guys to be stress free,” said Alex Ferget, coach of the Sky Line team. “This is a really good way to get around and compete, especially being surrounded by your friends.”

Like any other sport, ultimate Frisbee is a team-effort sport. Like football, it involves two teams tossing the Frisbee to each other trying to make it in the goal. This involves throwing and catching the Frisbee in order to make a touchdown.

While practice takes place, the members help each other out to better the team. Geology junior Sebastian Weinand finds the practice to be a great time not to worry about schoolwork.

“This is my stress relief,” Weinand said. “A lot of the time I do is just work; then coming here, it would help out to get better and to relax.”

Sky Line has been a part of the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center for about seven years. It provides students a new way to get physical and get involved with the UH community.

Nutrition senior Cobin Sonny has been involved with the team for three seasons. After playing in tournaments, Sonny says it’s a great way to get out and compete with different people.

“It’s a good way to meet new people,” Sonny said. “A lot of the guys bond with each other, especially the students that are new to the University. It’s like a brotherhood for me.”

The team is always recruiting players, many of which are new students. Being in his first year at the University, creative writing sophomore Eric Carter found the team helps him be more socially active. After seeing the relationships he built with the other team members, Carter wants to help others to join the team.

“We want to help new students, especially the freshmen,” Carter said. “We kind of help them out by sticking together and helping them get the homework done.”

With more students being involved, captain and finance junior Ryan Ackley feels confident about his team. Although the season is almost over, Ackley says his major goal is to recruit more members to keep the league going.

“You really have to have a strong team to make it,” Ackley said. “We all do teamwork really well, and we all hang out all the time. It’s great.”