There is a job for every major

Many students don’t know what they want to do with their degree, so we decided to help out by finding and sharing some of the least known or thought of careers:

Language major: Are you the adventurous type? Be an adventure guide. Whether you’re into white water rafting, sky diving, rock climbing, abseiling, kayaking, snorkeling, bungee jumping — turn it into a full-time job. Many adventure companies look for young people to hire.

There are opportunities both within the United States and also internationally, as many companies look to hire eager, English-speaking guides due to the popularity of these types of activities among college students who are abroad.

Math major: Cryptographer. Upon receiving a degree, a cryptographer can seek work in a variety of places, as many kinds of companies and government agencies hire cryptographers on a regular basis. Government agencies, such as the National Security Agency, tend to hire many cryptographers; such agencies are responsible for encrypting important government data transmissions. A cryptographer might also find work at a bank, as banks go to great lengths to ensure their clients’ transactions are secure.

Art major:  An image consultant is a professional who provides services for individuals and corporations through coaching, presentations, seminars and workshops.
Image consultants offer assistance in image enhancement (appearance, body and color analysis, wardrobe development and management), sound and effective communications, business and social etiquette, civility, branding and more — all through coaching and training.

Psychology major: Genetic counseling is the process of helping people understand and adapt to the medical, psychological and familial implications of genetic contributions to disease. This process includes:

• Interpretation of family and medical histories to assess the chance of disease occurrence or recurrence.
  • Education about inheritance, testing, management, prevention, resources and research.
  • Counseling to promote informed choices and adaptation to the risk or condition.

Hotel and restaurant management major: Menu Engineers are exploding in the casual dining arena and among national chains, a sector of the business that has been especially pinched by the economy. In response, they are tapping into a growing body of research into the science of menu pricing and writing, hoping the way to a diner’s heart not only by logical means, but by psychological means as well.