Trump dilemma strains pro-Republican college students

Embed from Getty Images

I am the president of the College Republicans at UH, and I have no shame in admitting that. The people I have met, the things that I have experienced and the joy in being a part of the organization are indescribable and immeasurable.

My views on the candidates are clear. The members of UHCR who voted to put me in office last semester were aware of my thoughts on Donald Trump. I never made it a secret.

With the nomination of Trump for the Republican Party, a special dilemma has popped up on college campuses around the country. Do College Republicans decide to endorse Trump even though he is unpopular among millennials and those within his party?

The decision on whether to endorse Trump has divided College Republican groups around the country. It has even led to club breakups.

The UHCR board decided, with emphasis on our members, love and standing for intellectual diversity and liberty, that the best course of action was to stay completely neutral in Trump’s spectrum. We have members who support Trump and members who are decisively “Never Trump.”

We think our members are smart enough to decide for themselves whether they support the Republican candidate.

When Independent Journal Review released an opinion piece calling for the resignation of College Republican leaders who don’t fully support Trump, I was appalled. I shouldn’t be surprised, though, seeing as the piece was written by John Lambert, the national vice chairman and co-founder of Students for Trump. He’s just supporting his candidate of choice (in a legalistic fashion, I may add).

The main point of the article is that leaders who do not fully support Trump lack a certain maturity. Those who want Hillary Clinton to win are missing a chance to market the College Republicans, and conservative principles, properly.

Not supporting Trump does not mean supporting Clinton.  To say so would be an associative fallacy that focuses more on buzzwords than on the stance.

As stated above, millennials despise Trump in a way that cannot really be compared. If anything, aligning with Trump only hurts the creation of a constructive dialogue that can promote the ideals formerly held by the party.

Why has this party and its allies become so focused on an authoritarian need for conformity and a hate for those who dissent? How has the Republican Party fallen so far from its prior focus on freedom of expression and diverse viewpoints?

This is the kind of behavior that Republicans have been criticizing Democrats for many years now. Yet, there seems to be no mediation when a Trump supporter goes after a non-supporter who is affiliated with the Republican Party.

This is not the first time leaders of the “Donald J. Trump for President” movement have called for the removal of leaders who don’t back the GOP nominee. New Hampshire GOP Chairwoman Jennifer Horn was the subject of one during primary season.

More recently, the Rice University College Republicans democratically decided to not endorse Trump. In response, Students for Trump — Texas tweeted some disparaging remarks about them and started a less-than-flattering hashtag.

To paraphrase the Fox News show, “Outnumbered,” when speaking about UH’s own SGA president, this is a post straight out of North Korea.

Many Republicans (some former) have — rightfully — said that the party has seemingly lost its soul thanks to the “Trump situation.” Actions and articles like this only help to affirm these conclusions.

Unsurprisingly, a Democrat has turned the Republican Party blue into the fall-in-line party no one ever wanted.

Opinion columnist Jorden Smith is a political science junior and president of the College Republicans. He can be reached at [email protected]

• It looks like with Jordan Smith … is content on being on the Washington Generals to the Progressives Harlem Globetrotters. Jordy wants his power even if his side is a perpetual loser to the Democrats. But that attitude is disastrous for the future of Our Country. A prostrate GOP may be fine with spineless CR’s like Jordan, but for Freedoms Sake, you tacitly give your approval for far fewer Freedoms for everyone under Progressive leadership, which in the degrading of basic freedoms may cause civil unrest to the point of Civil War. I would have thought the Obama Regime would have taught you something on that in the past seven years.

Prior to 1994, Republicans were happy being the “outnumbered” to the Democrats, but the Progressives then were not the America hating freedom takers they are today. I know Trump’s methods scare Jordy Boy. When Trump wins without properly connected political personnel, then what future candidate has need of a political science junior and current College Republican President.

So I ask the iffy College Republicans … is a Clinton Presidency filled with Health Episodes, and a Leftist Court worth the tripe that Jordy is pushing. I think not.

The decline of the morals of Our Country in the last eight years has been stunning. Progressives now want grown men using the restroom next to eight year old girls, which would have been laughed at just a few years ago. How far does society have to go down with the stuff.

If Trannies get what they want, will perverts who cherish the company of young girls be DENIED THEIR RIGHTS TO BE HAPPY. Will teachers be allowed to bed their students … it’s all about happiness … right? How ’bout Man-Boy lovers? The movement will continue, but it’s next form is yet to be determined.

So Jordan, whether you are Establishment or Cruzian, any non-backing of the GOP candidate this go around will set the country back 25 years with a Leftist Court in power. The nation will further suffer under a centrally planned economy, and who knows what kind of unrest will happen when Progressive Courts make serious efforts to take our basic rights. You know they will go for guns. Which I will gladly fight for my rights when there is nothing left to lose. And you Jordy, for being limp-wristed about not supporting Trump will be on someones list, along with many Progressives. That I can promise you.

• My my Jones, it must be awful lonely in that echo-chamber of yours.
      Especially considering that Smith is probably the closest anyone on The Cougar will ever come to actually agreeing with you.

Tell me, were you getting so lonely that you had to invite your friends from Westboro Baptist to picket the school with? You need real friends Jones. Hit me up after your picket and we can grab a beer or something.

• Organite!!!

I was attacking the Consult Class, which most College Republicans probably aspire too.

There is no perfect candidate … even George Washington wasn’t perfect.

Hillary Clinton has seizures and so-called Medical Episodes, and Donald Trump isn’t a traditional politician. And what scares College Republicans more — Trump.

• Jones, there are so many legitimate criticisms of Clinton, but it baffles me how you grab hold of something as irrelevant to this election as her medical issues and claim it’s the end-all-be-all to why she shouldn’t be president.

• Organite!!! Come on!!!

You know dang well if Trump has the Parkinson symptoms that Clinton has, you would be calling for his removal to no end.

I’ve yet to see anything supportive of Clinton in the paper. Her advertisements are all about Trump. Hillary has not one accomplishment except for being in Washington for 25 years.

Hillary Clinton is not smart. She failed the Washington Bar Exam, and as a back-up followed Bill to Arkansas. If she is pressed with serious questions that would point other people to jail … Hillary PLAYS DUMB … like wiping her server “with a cloth.”

Have you wondered why Clinton didn’t go to a hospital after her 9/11 medical episode? The logical decision would have been to go to a hospital. Wouldn’t you agree Organite!!!?

Instead, her staffers took her to her daughters OF THE PEOPLE $10 million dollar apartment. Where probably after an adrenaline or a drug cocktail shot, she departed much better looking 500% better.

A visit to the hospital and an unfamiliar doctor following Hillary’s 9/11 collapse, would have exposed her to doctors asking for her true medical history of collapses (verified by Bill) that dates to 2005, not just the pneumonia cover story.

Have you seen up close the 9/11 collapse video? She was dragged into the van. Something fell from the inside of her pants to the ground … could be a part of a leg brace. You can she her shoes dragging. You can see her doing a Weekend at Bernie’s propped up against a barrier waiting for the van.

I do believe her medical episodes will lessen before the end of the campaign. But it will be interesting if she has one during a debate.

• Trump is a deplorable human being. People supporting him will have the stain for
    life just like in the old news reels form the 60’s.