Movies

“The Social Network” a movie for a new generation

Jesse Eisenberg, right, and Justin Timberlake appear together in one of the first movies of the fall. The film deals with a major part of UH student’s lives — Facebook. | Columbia Pictures

“The Social Network” opens today and is nothing short of a satisfying movie experience. Academy Award nominated director David Fincher (“Fight Club,” “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” “Se7en”) does a fantastic job as always with the story of the youngest billionaire, Mark Zuckerberg, the creator of the extremely popular social networking-site, Facebook. It is based on the novel “The Accidental Billionaires” by Ben Mezrich and adapted by Aaron Sorkin (“A Few Good Men”). It focuses on the beginnings of the project in 2003, when Zuckerberg created Facebook from his dorm room as a sophomore at Harvard University, and the legal dispute between all that were involved one way or another.

The acting is spot-on with Jesse Eisenberg (“Zombieland,” “The Squid and the Whale”) playing Zuckerberg and Andrew Garfield (“The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus,” “Never Let Me Go”) as co-founder and best friend Eduardo Saverin. Justin Timberlake plays Napster founder, Sean Parker, who aids in the Facebook expansion process. The story is factually sound with what actually happened, and the dialogue is clever, hilarious and extremely dramatic at different points of the film. Eisenberg gives an accurate portrayal of how Zuckerberg acts — especially linguistically. The real Zuckerberg is said to talk like a computer instant messenger.

Zuckerberg is also portrayed as a kind of anti-hero throughout most of the film, and a cynical character that is hurtful to others. Zuckerberg has admitted to being like that back then, but no longer — he has said he has matured and learned a lot since then.

The film’s soundtrack was composed by the leading man of Nine Inch Nails, Trent Reznor, with the help of Atticus Ross, who is the producer of most Nine Inch Nails albums (along with influencing the music.) The score gives the film a thriller-esque style and is extremely fitting for the mood of every given situation that occurs. There are also other classic songs that are very appropriately placed throughout the film.

Fincher said that he wanted to make a modern-day John Hughes film, and he definitely succeeded in that task. When one thinks John Hughes, “The Breakfast Club” and “Sixteen Candles” come to mind. The times have changed, and so has the type of Hughes “teen” genre film — today’s time is all about Facebook and the experience of college being on the internet. Peter Travers from Rolling Stone Magazine calls it “the movie of the year that also brilliantly defines the decade.” After the movie is over, it is unlikely for one to disagree with that.

All the elements of the film: acting, music, writing, and directing lead to a good time at the movies and possibly the Academy Awards next year. It is relevant to the time to have a film such as this to define the first decade of the 21st century and when it is done well, that’s all one can ask for in a movie.

• This article sucks because it didn't sound like this person even saw the movie but instead went to all the critic's comments and summarized it into his own. IT IS NOT AN ORIGINAL ARTICLE AND YOU GUYS SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR ALLOWING SOMEONE TO WRITE SUCH CRAP!!! How did this person even write the review for the movie if it didn't come out until Friday is my question?

• I saw it at an advanced screening and I haven't read any other reviews on it at all – plus the quote from peter travers can be seen on almost all of the ads for it all over the internet. The information I included in this article is from an article from The New York Times and everything else that is in here is accurate.

• This article made me want to see the movie! I'm interested in what you meant about how Zuckerberg speaks like an instant message system.

And just to remind commentators about proper conduct on this message board, I'll copy the Note at the bottom of this web page:

This is a discussion, so try to make your contribution as relevant as you can muster, significant, without severe and blind(ing) bias, and constructive. We moderate loosely, but that does not license you to hate speech or other acts of linguistic immaturity. Use the "report" links on comments to notify us of inappropriate content.