Movies

Genuine chemistry sparkles in new romantic comedy

Summer romance is back with a new film that’s bound to channel the imagination of audiences into literally believing that dreams really do come true.

“Ruby Sparks” stars Paul Dano from “Little Miss Sunshine” as Calvin and executive producer Zoe Kazan who plays Ruby, his love interest.

The remaining cast consists of Chris Messina, Annette Bening, Antonio Banderas and Steve Coogan.

Calvin is an exceptional writer who has come to a point in his career where his publishers want to see him push his writing further.

While attempting to start his new book, writer’s block overcomes Calvin leading to an increase in trips to see his therapist (Elliot Gould) who encourages him to write about someone who likes his overly shy dog Scotty, who Calvin originally bought to help him meet new people.

In a dream Calvin meets Ruby who miraculously enjoys Scotty.

His writer’s block seems to fade as his thoughts and words surround Ruby, creating the beginning of what was supposed to be his next book until Calvin wakes up one morning to find Ruby no longer living on pages punched by his type writer, but alive in his bachelor pad.

Calvin’s portrayal of a writer lost in his work and his first experience of romance is compelling, with an equipped balance of love and passion for writing.

The two love birds are portrayed as out of touch with the world, but together they are unstoppable and a joy to be around in the film.

Dano and 28-year-old Yale graduate Kazan actually have been in a five-year relationship prior to the making of the film.

Their genuine chemistry is instantaneous as Calvin accepts that his dream has come true — Ruby is real. Love is cast in each moment the magical couple spends together.

Kazan comes from a family of writers and her mother, Robin Swicord, is actually an Oscar-nominated screenwriter who collaborated with Eric Roth in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.”

Unlike most screenwriters, Kazan chose to not sell her script in an effort to ensure the story she wrote remained personal.

Still, despite the films triumphs, there were scenes throughout the movie that lacked a spark.

Calvin’s bachelor pad lacked décor and was significantly uninteresting to watch.

The cast of the film was also very limited and watching the same characters had a dulling effect on the viewer.

“Ruby Sparks” is an impractical end of the summer romance that will leave audiences blushing and yearning for what happens next.

The film is currently being screened in select Houston theaters now.